Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Postcards

I've had a few people ask me to send postcards, which I am of course delighted to do, with a few caveats. I know I don't need to ask that you not request tons of postcards, but you also shouldn't feel the need to limit yourself to just one--they're pretty inexpensive. If you want a postcard (or two or three) from me, I need three things:

I. Your address, of course. Please don't assume I have it--email it to me to be sure.
II. Where you want the postcard(s) from. This can be as open-ended as "Florence" or "Vatican" or "ancient sculpture" or as specific as "Michaelangelo's David", although any request is predicated on the assumption that I can find the specified subject in a postcard. Do not tell me something like "anything's fine" or "surprise me"--if you do, you'll get a postcard consisting entirely of naughty bits from famous artworks. No, seriously--I've seen them before, and I will send you one. I'd much rather send a postcard from a place or subject that you like, and this prevents me from going "ooh, pretty postcard--I'll pick this up and send it to someone" and ending up with fifty miscellaneous postcards at the end of the trip :)
III. A promise that when you get the postcard, you'll take a picture of yourself holding it. I'd like to know that you got it, and I always enjoy pictures of my friends and family.

It would also help to get any requests as soon as possible--I'd hate to make the three hour trip to Capri one weekend, and then a few weeks later find out that someone really wants a postcard from the Blue Grotto there. Sites in Rome are obviously a little more flexible than sites outside of Rome. Somewhat tangentially related to all this; if you have any particular places or sights that you want a photo of, let me know and I'll do my best to get a picture and post it here. If you do request a photo, keep in mind that there are some places that cameras are not permitted, such as the Sistine Chapel and the David, in which case I'll try to get you the appropriate postcard--I like my camera too much to get it confiscated.

No comments:

Post a Comment